3.31.2011

Political Music - The Criteria, Part I

I've listened to over 650 songs while researching, curating and writing this political music countdown. The list went through 4 drafts, and plenty of great, important and powerful songs were dropped from the original draft.

When I started, I thought I should limit artists to one song on the list. But I haven't been able to do that. How do you do that when Marvin Gaye and Nina Simone have such depth and heart in their catalogue of songs? I've allowed my list to include one and a half songs or two songs by a handful of artists.

Of course, that meant some highly recommended pics from people aren't on the list at all. There's nothing from Liz Phair or Hüsker Dü. Much to my great surprise, as people reminded me of more songs, I dropped some personal favourites that I'd carefully placed in the early part of the countdown, including The Decemberists and The Weakerthans.

"Political Songs" might be protest songs, they might be songs of peace, they might be social commentary on anything and everything. There are songs about prejudice, poverty and power on the list, and songs about capitalism, Jesus and other gods.

No songs for vegans made the Top 100. I apologize, and offer you this gift: The Smiths' Meat Is Murder.