3.31.2011

Political Music Prologue

Growing up in the country, outside a small town in Nova Scotia, I spent a lot of time listening to songs on the radio. A lot of pretty pop tunes in the 80's. And I had the sense that music, great music, important music, was something that happened in the 60's and 70's. The music of my father and mother.

And then, a revelation... Public Enemy. I was 14 when I first heard Fear of a Black Planet. I was blown away. There was music still out there, with heat and light. Music that would worry my parents. Well, not my hippie parents, but at least other people's parents.

This blog is meant to celebrate those moments when music created sparks in people's lives. It's election time in Canada, and I'll be counting down what are, in my opinion, the Top 100 political songs of all time. I'll be posting 3 songs a day.

I'd like to hear from you. Tell me about why a song is important to you, or belongs on this list, or doesn't. I'll be posting the most moving comments and the brightest critiques. Please include your full name and city or town in your note.

Here's a pretty pop song that didn't make the list. Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire, from 1989's Storm Front.