4.26.2011

Song 30: Solidarity Forever, Pete Seegar

If you're interested in politics that works for the people, and need a good laugh, read Helen Creighton and the Rise of Folklore.

Here's a passage from a letter Creighton wrote:

A few days ago I received a copy of Edith Fowke's new book, Songs of Work and Freedom. It is very well done, but what a subject, for these are communist songs. I am embarrassed to know how to thank her. She does this documentary type of study well; I would say it is her forte. But why is it that people like Alan Lomax, Pete Seegar, Peggy Seegar and now Edith, apply folk songs to communist propaganda? ... I remember years ago recording the song Solidarity Forever from a very nice young professor, and it made me shiver. Evangelist songs stir people to good, but trade union songs stir people to hate and to seek their own advancement!


And since we're less then a week from a Canadian election, here's a version by Leonard Cohen: