4.07.2011

Song 82: Soldier, Erykah Badu

A political music blog wouldn't be complete without hearing from at least one non-voter. They exist! Political hacks and flacks reading this blog - they exist! You won't understand them, but try.

Here's Erykah Badu from a 2008 interview:

I don’t vote. For many reasons, that I’d rather not say on tape. I trust the political system to be what it is. It’s a structure to keep the country running, a boat to get us from one side to the other, and it has the country’s best interests at heart. Not the people’s.

But general public, general public, please get involved in politics, however you define 'politics'.

To my folks on the picket line
Don't stop til you change dey mind
I got love fo' my folks
Baptized when the levy broke
We gone keep marchin' on
Until you hear dat freedom song

Think of Erykah Badu's whole 1998 album New Amerykah Part One (4th World War) as a State of the Union address by a citizen. Here's Soldier: