4.03.2011

Song 94: Not Ready To Make Nice, The Dixie Chicks

A lot of people wrote in to suggest this song to me. The video's great, and although I try to steer clear of TV and mainstream media, I recalled a little bit of the 'controversy' in Middle America around The Dixie Chicks. I'm not sure how well this song will hold up over time in terms of 'political music' though. Although it is a rockin' and righteous country song.

The short version of the controversy that led to the creation of Not Ready To Make Nice:

1. A woman in the band made a political statement at a concert.
2. Fans and Patriots took offense.
3. Fans and Patriots burned their albums (oh the fumes).
4. The woman received death threats.
5. Repeat.

It's a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they'd write me a letter
Sayin' that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over