4.06.2011

Song 85: Harrowdown Hill, Thom Yorke

Political songs don't all leave you ready to take on the world. Some leave you feeling empty and helpless.

David Kelly was a scientist and biological warfare expert working for the British Ministry of Defence, and before that, a UN weapons inspector working in Iraq. In 2003 Kelly's name was leaked to the press as the source of an article about the British government's files about Iraqi WMDs. Kelly was called before a parliamentary committee, questioned and was found two days later in the Oxfordshire woods called Harrowdown Hill, dead of an apparent suicide.

In an interview the The Guardian, Thom Yorke called Harrowdown Hill "the most angry song I've ever written in my life."

Don't walk the plank like I did
You will be dispensed with
When you've become inconvenient
Up on Harrowdown Hill
Where you used to go to school
Thats where I am
Thats where I'm lying down